Welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog. Here you will find information about all of our projects, links, contact info and much more. Right now we are currently working on our first book, How My Sun Got Its Smile. Please consider visiting our Facebook Page and become our friends!

Love
Judy and Mel

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Our Young Hero


Philadelphia has a fabulous little museum called the National Liberty Museum.  This gem is found in the heart of the historical district and is a museum that promotes anti-bullying and heroism.  Every spring they ask for the community to nominate children who would be considered a “Young Hero.”  Judy nominated Deana for this honor.  Please read the letter below that she wrote about this beautiful child:

A True Young Hero

It would not be possible to send a video of Deana Vega doing her community service, because her community service is at St. Christopher’s Children’s Hospital, on the Oncology Floor.  I know that videos would not be allowed and I’m sure you can understand that.  But, let me create my own video of this incredible young lady.

Picture if you can, a nine-year-old little girl, who was diagnosed with leukemia and spent an entire year in and out of the hospital, missing all of 4th grade. Picture if you can, a little girl who was as sick as a child could possibly be.  Picture if you can a little girl with beautiful curls, going completely bald.  Now, picture that same child, as an eleven year old, in good health.  The picture you now have is Deana Vega and she is an extraordinary young lady.  She talks publically about her experience with cancer and gives back to St. Christopher’s 100%.

How does she give back?  I asked her that and this was her answer, “I visit the sick kids in the cancer section.  I play games with them, walk around with them, talk to them and try to have them talk about what they are feeling.  I play with the babies and even feed them.  While I was sick I helped to take care of a five-month-old baby who died.  She had nobody come to visit her.  I held her and fed her.  I walk with the kids outside if the weather is nice.  At Christmas I went and got the kids some toys.  On Valentine’s Day I got them teddy bears.  This past Monday was Memorial Day and I went up to the cancer floor and watched TV and hung out with the kids.  I’ll distract them while they’re getting needles and cheer them on while they are getting chemo.  The kids will ask if it was hard for me and I always tell them the truth.  I encourage them to walk around and get out of bed, no matter how bad they feel.  I tell them to think positive thoughts and always try to smile.  I even tell them that Bald People Rock!  I’m also going to be performing in the annual talent show for the sick kids this November.” 

I truly feel honored and privileged to say that I know Deana Vega.  I met Deana because I ran a “Read-a-Thon” at our school for the Susan B. Komen’s Mother’s Day Race.  Deana got on stage in front of hundreds of children and told her story.  She was so brave and strong.  This young lady is truly on a mission to help as many children as she can who are suffering with cancer.  She is a true friend to all children and a wonderful influence on others.  Helping the children at the hospital is not enough, as she dreams of writing a book about her battle with cancer, which will help many more who experienced the same struggle as she.  Without hesitation, I told her I will do everything I possibly can to make her next dream come true.

In closing, I hope that you consider Deana Vega to be a “Young Hero.”  She has endured so much in her young life, yet is one of the most upbeat positive students I have ever met.  Thankfully, she is in remission now and only wants to continue helping other kids with cancer.  To meet Deana is to fall in love with her!

And guess what – she won!  But, she didn’t just win the honor of being a “Young Hero,” she won the “President’s Award.”  Deana received a $1,000 check, a laptop computer and other gifts.  She and all of the Young Heroes were recognized at a luncheon at the museum on August 5th.  Enjoy the photos from that day. By the way, the National Liberty Museum already said they will sell the book in their gift shop.  Our first customer!  Thank you to all the people at the museum who teach others the right values to get through life!  Please also, have a look at our new links list and visit some of our friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment